Singers! Have you wanted to learn to work with a rhythm section?
- Learn valuable skills while building your repertoire.
- Learn to keep your place within a song, understand form, build intros and endings that work, and how to find keys that work for your voice.
- Find out what goes into creating a good singer’s book.
- Try out improvising for the first time, or expand your current improv skills based on melody and chord knowledge.
- Learn the lingo so you can talk with your musical collaborators and understand each other.
Over the course of 13 weeks you will focus on learning 3 new songs for your repertoire. You will workshop each song individually with different facets of the rhythm section (piano, guitar, bass, drums) so you can learn to interact with each element, as well as really understand your songs on multiple levels.
Towards the end of the course you will have the opportunity to work with a full rhythm section, culminating in an open house vocal showcase in GigSpace the last evening of class.
Work with two of Ottawa’s top professional musicians!
- Elise Letourneau is a music educator, jazz vocalist, award-winning composer, choral director and multi-instrumentalist. She has developed several vocal workshops for Alcorn Music Studios, founded the Ottawa Singer~Songwriter music camp, and is on faculty in the vocal department at Carleton University. Elise is also on faculty with the Carleton University Jazz Camp.
- Tim Bedner is a prolific jazz guitarist and award-winning music educator. He has developed Jazz Improvisation Workshops for Alcorn Music Studios, and founded the Carleton University Guitar Ensemble. Tim is currently on faculty at Carleton University and is also the assistant director of the Carleton University Jazz Camp.
Instructors – Tim Bedner & Elise Letourneau
When – Thursdays, 7:30-9:30 PM, 13 weeks
Dates – September 20 – December 13, 2018
Maximum – 8 participants
Registration Fee – $500 (payable in full, no refunds)
Call 613-729-0693 to register or email firstname.lastname@example.org