Camp Director: Mike Tremblay
with: Patrick Denison
Date: Five days, July 8 – 12, 2019
Time: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Friday Afternoon: Saxophone Concert
For: any saxophonist with one year experience to advanced, students grades 7 to 12 and adults.
Maximum camp size: 24
Fee: $475 (non-refundable)
Location: Alcorn Music Studios, 953 Gladstone Avenue
Registration Deadlines: Register by June 14th, 2018.
Late registration until June 28th (no t-shirt).
To register click here to download a fillable MS word doc.
email to firstname.lastname@example.org or download and print off and mail to Alcorn Music Studios, 953 Gladstone Ave., Ottawa ON, K1Y 3E5
What it’s all about…
- Rehearse and perform with a quartet or quintet
- Quartets will be formed based on students age and skill level.
- Students will work through challenging material of varying styles, and will perform at a public concert at the end of the week.
Jazz Improvisation Workshops
- Students will be divided into beginner and intermediate/advanced classes, and sessions will be aimed at developing specific improvising techniques.
- Players will be given a theoretical approach, then learn to apply it to a blues, modal, and standard repertoire.
- Participate in a jam session and accompanied by professional musicians.
Special sessions dealing with various topics as they relate specifically to the saxophone, such as practicing, playing and performing; these will be given by Mike Tremblay.
Saxophone Choir and Chamber Groups
- There are two or three chamber groups, each of a different size.
- The largest ensemble is the saxophone choir.
Intermediate and advanced sessions are held where students learn how to improve their sight-reading skills.
- Students must provide their own instrument. (exceptions apply for baritone sax)
- All rehearsal, workshops and masterclasses will be held at Alcorn Music Studios
- Those students new to the camp may be required to participate in an informal placement audition at the beginning of camp.
- all music and a music folder.
- overnight instrument lock up.
What to bring:
- your instrument.
- your own reeds.
- your lunch or signed permission to leave the premises and purchase lunch nearby.
- refillable water bottle.
Saxophone Camp Concert
Friday, 2:00 PM at Vimy Brewing Company
1-145 Loretta Avenue North (just behind the Alcorn Music Studios building)
Have questions? please call us! 613-729-0693 or email: email@example.com
About Mike Tremblay – A native of Ottawa, Mike has more than 20 years experience in the music industry as a saxophonist and educator. Mike holds a BA MUS from Carleton University, where he now teaches saxophone. His teachers include Kirk MacDonald, Alex Dean, and George Garzone. Mike adjudicates for Musicfest Canada ( jazz ensembles), and the Kiwanis Music Festival ( concert bands, jazz ensembles, and woodwinds) Some of his performance and recording credits include Natalie Cole, Josh Groban, Alanis Morissette,John Pizzarelli, Lou Rawls, Bob Newhart,and Bernadette Peters. Mike frequently performs with the National Arts centre Orchestra as part of the CTV POPS series. Recently Mike has been touring theatres throughout Canada and the United States as part of Holly Larocque and the Mark Ferguson orchestra. In 2009 Mike co-released a CD with pianist Mark Ferguson. “HOME” has enjoyed frequent radio airplay including CBC’s “Tonic” with Katie Malloch. In 2007, Mike founded the Ottawa Saxophone Camp. This annual three week camp has grown to 47 saxophonists of all ages and abilities. Mike is very proud to be the musical director of the 2010 OCDSB Secondary School All-Star Jazz Ensemble. Mike is the co-founder of the Carleton University Jazz Camp. This annual camp combines emerging high school students with some of Canada’s elite jazz educators.
Thank you to MusiCare for providing bari’s and sopranos.
Thank you to St.John’s Music for your continuous support.